Friday, April 08, 2005

Praying on Assasins

I watched "Meet the Press" in brief last sunday and they were interviewing a bishop or and arch-bishop or something. Anyway, when asked how hard it was for the pope to sit down and pray with the man who tried to assasinate him, the bishop responded - "not hard at all for a man as spiritually grounded as the pope." Of all the commentary that's been mushed around regarding the late leader of the catholic church this piece is my favorite. In day to day life most of us struggle against an enemy more akin to Dr.Jeckle/Mr.Hyde than spiderman struggling against the joker. While public figures are more prone to aquiring an nemesis than the rest of our poor souls - the image of a man forgiving and reconsiling with a nemesis in real life, taking initiative to seek understanding with an opponent who he had never intentionally harmed, speaks poigniently to my sense of self and future self. We all would do well to aspire to such a level of intensity empathetically.

On a softer note: I've just acquired a couple of bright eyes' latest disks and bought a ticket to the May 12 show; let's call it an experiment in reconstitution. I saw bright eyes with grandaddy a few years ago at the 400 bar and then bright eyes again at the electric fetus the next day. I got a kick out of it and upon first review the new disks are pretty good - the music's got a rhett miller (not to be confused with the Old 97s) attraction to it. We'll see how it sticks, but for now I'm gonna say I'm enjoying the foray into bright eyes for the better part.

I filled out one of those lately popular mad libs things on a-ron's blog the other day and having shunned the whole concept before I think it's alot of fun, but I'm not sure I quite get the whole thing yet. Are you suppose to fill in the blanks putting yourself in the author's shoes trying your best to replicate the author's response, therein gauging how well you know the author by interpolaing the language for the spaces? Alternatively, is the object to remake the pasage as whittily as possible or with as much continuity as possible? These are the things, sometimes, that I question, possibly.

later,
Chromeeyes

No comments: